Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 7 March 2015

Springtime Flowers on Kraft (posted by Judith)

Hello everyone, I have a couple of cards to show you today using the Spring Birds multi-buy stamp set. These stamps are so versatile and you can use them to make cards suitable for occasions across the year, which hopefully my first card will demonstrate.

I hand cut a circle from the front of a kraft card blank, by drawing around a circular die with a pencil as a guide. I then stamped the small motif using Versamark and white embossing powder around the edge. TIP: I stamped the four main points,  top, bottom, left and right, as if I was making a clock, to start. Then I filled the rest of the spaces in afterwards, it was much easier that way.

I stamped the flower image seven times, starting at the bottom, masking them as I went along, so that I did not stamp over the previous one. I then used a couple of sprig stamps from the Briar Rose Butterfly/Harebell Butterfly multi-buy stamp set, which I coloured with water based markers. I stamped these a couple of times, before re-inking so that some of the images are less defined, giving the impression of the images being in the background. I added a couple of butterflies, and coloured all of my images with waterbased markers and a waterbrush. Finally, I stuck the card behind the circle aperture.


My second card uses a piece of scrap card left over from another project. When I was colouring some seam binding recently, I used some watercolour paper to mop up the excess moisture from the ribbon, and the background on this card is the result. It provides a perfect match to the ribbon that I have added to the card.

I stamped the tulips onto the card, masking one set, before adding the second. I then stamped two rows of the small motif along the top and bottom of the background using black ink. I also added a sentiment from the stamp set, before matting the background onto black card. I stamped the tulip images onto spare card, and coloured them using watercolour pencils. I cut them out and added them to the card.

I stamped two rows of another small motif onto orange vellum, using Versamark and white embossing powder to create a lacy border effect. I cut this out, and attached it to my panel, before sticking the panel to a kraft card blank.

I hope that I have given you some inspiration for using these lovely stamps, particularly some of the smaller motifs, which are often overlooked on a stamp plate. They make great borders and edges for your cards. Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx


14 comments:

  1. 2 beautiful cards, wish I was so talented

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first card - it is simply gorgeous. The double stamping works really well. The lacy border on the second card is lovely as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two gorgeous cards Judith, I especially love the first one the water colouring is lovely and soft giving a very delicate effect
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cards, especially love your vellum lace on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful cards Judith. The first is so soft and delicate and I love the way you have framed the circle with the motif in white, and the second is much more vibrant and springlike, and a great idea to use a piece of watercolour paper to ink you ribbon on and then use it on a card. The tulips are gorgeous and the inked vellum and ribbon finish it perfectly. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little stamps on CB theme plates so was thrilled to see you using them. The first card just brought tears to my eyes - it's such a beauty with wonderful depth in that foliage perfectly accentuated by your deeper colouring of the flowers themselves. The combination of kraft & white is one of my favourites too.
    The lacy strips against the black framing on the kraft is very striking in your second sample & I particularly like your use of the repeatedly stamped black motif as an inner border on your mopped background panel. A very unusual & striking use of kraft which would do rather well for a man.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that first card so much - great tip for stamping round the circle too, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks you again for some wonderful ideas .hope they stay in my head .,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards. Love your first one and how you stamped in a circle. Great tip about using small stamps for borders and edging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially love the purple flower card you made. How fresh and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two beautiful cards Judith, I have the harebell stamp and had to get it out and look at it, you have absolutely taken it to a different level, fantastic use of masking, I love the card, it's so delicate and a beautiful design x

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous - these stamps are stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful contrast with the craft! And both styles look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two great cards with two very different styles, they both work brilliantly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!