Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday 13 January 2015

A Bird for all Seasons and Ophelia the Mermaid? (by Judith)

Hello everyone, I hope that you are enjoying the range of projects from the Design Team this month. I have chosen to use some of the new individual cling mounted stamps Song Thrush and Ophelia for my projects for you today.

For my first project, I wanted to show the diversity of this lovely stamp, and how it could be used to create cards all year round, so I have made a Christmas card. I started by embossing the image three times, using white embossing powder on some green scrapbook paper, and colouring the image with pencils. I decoupaged the flowers and bird. I layered the image onto kraft card, using some dark red card as a mat for contrast. I also added some holly die cuts, and some more stamping, using a berry stamp from the Woodland Dreams stamp set which I also coloured with pencils. I tucked some flowers from a spare image under the main frame, along with the holly die cuts. I added some shading around the edge of the kraft background, using Festive Berries Distress Ink. Finally, I added a sentiment taken from the Warm Christmas Greetings clear stamp set.



For my second sample, I stamped Ophelia onto a piece of heavy weight cartridge paper, and then masked the image. I coloured the background by blending three different colours of Distress Inks randomly all over the page. I stamped an image from the Texture Fragments stamp set onto opposite corners, using one of the same colours of Distress Ink. I then flicked water onto the other areas of the page and dried it with a heat gun, to emphasise the watermarks.

I stamped and embossed a seaweed image along the bottom of the page, from the Underwater stamp set,  using a blue/green metallic powder. I then added some flowers which I had cut out and coloured with pencils from the Song Thrush Silhouette image. It just goes to show that you can add flowers to just about anything! Finally, I coloured Ophelia using pencils, and matted the project using toning coloured card.

Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

10 comments:

  1. She is gorgeous Judith, such a lovely and dreamy card! Have a nice day teamie, the weather is awful here! xxMiranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first card with the bird. The mixture of die cuts and stamping works really well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. I've been eyeing the first stamp. I have a couple of the single stamps in my shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So different and beautiful original!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you thought out of the box for card one . Wow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, I especially like the second one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two lovely cards Judith and the Christmas one works really well and I particularly like the holly and berries in the background. I think the underwater scene which works perfectly with the Ophelia image as her hair looks as though it is floating in the water. I love the pretty blended colours and added fragments and waterspots and also the pretty flowers you have added to the background. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks like a sleeping mermaid, very different and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your use of the red mat combined with kraft card & white embossing is a super combination. Including the traditional green & the more unusual shade with the Christmassy iconography made this a very original seasonal design. Your second card's use of the watery Ophelia theme is superbly depicted with your seaweed, bubbly texture fragment & the use of water drops for the background - her hair really looks like it is wafting underwater. I love the way your use of the Song Thrush Silhouette flowers have echoed her collar detail as well as the flowers in her hair. I'd imagine the Glossy Accents echoes the wet embossed seaweed beautifully in real life too.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your mermaid Judith! Really lovely seascape colours and you already know how much I love flowers on anything and everything, lol! Brilliant use of the texture fragments too! Both your cards are beautiful.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!